Monday, March 24, 2008

The boy who screwed......his exam

I am waiting for the invigilator to hand the question sheet over to us. As I wait, for him to do so, a nagging thought haunts my already exhausted brain. "Have I done enough?" was what i kept on asking myself. I recollected the events of the last few days. We had a three day holiday (Good Friday + weekend) before our maths and chem exams. I remember how I resolved to use the first two days for chem and the remaining day for maths. I remember that every time I sat down to read the writings of Mr. Boyd and Mr. Lee, I would either doze off or end up doing something totally unrelated, to which cause my laptop contributed a lot ( I know its time I introduce you common folks to her (yeah! It's a 'she'!), but I have been postponing it to a more opportune moment (read I am too lazy to write about her) ).
The invigilator hands out the paper with a broad smile, reminding me of an evil alter ego of Santa Claus handing out doom and despair. I receive the paper with a mechanical smile. I go through the questions.
"Hmmm....Doesn't seem so tough."
"Ah! Vaska's complex!! I'm sure I know that one. I just went through it before the exam."
"Let me try to recollect it....Brain do your thing!!"

Several seconds later.....

"I'm sure I read it! What the hell is it?"

As is sit on the bench, trying to recollect question after question, it seemed futile, just like chasing a mirage. It seemed as though all memories of chemistry had been pushed deep into my sub conscience or worse......deleted. I manage to scribble down some answers to a couple of no-brainers which I hoped would elevate my marks to a decent two digits. And with ten minutes left for the bell, I have successfully not solved the last question.
As I come out of the hall, I see a lot of happy faces. I hear words like 'easy', 'peace max' floating around. Some of them ask me how the paper was. I feel like bashing their skulls on to the wall next to them, but I resist this sudden urge, and manage to utter one single word - "Bad".

"Bad"

One of the biggest understatements to slip the tongue of a human being. I don't feel the emotions that I should feel. I feel a certain numbness, the reason for which I can't begin to fathom. Then as I cycle to the hostel, I think of some of the questions and the answers start flowing automatically. I can't help but feel a little bit amused at the timing.
How can someone who once was so sure that he had answers to all the questions, now become like this? As I enter my room, I decide to record this memory somewhere and what better place than my own blog?

No comments: