Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ramblings of a die-hard poet and a film buff


"Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings"
These were the very famous words of a very famous poet - William Wordsworth.

It is my notion that poetry is a snapshot of your emotions and feelings at that time on paper. It can contain your happiest moments and your darkest fears. It can be about love or it can be about hate. It can be anything you want it to be but it is poetry only if it is a reflection of what you feel at the time. These were the very few rules I had for my poems. People write diary entries or blog about things which happen in their lives. I do neither of these. Instead I write poems.

There are movies to stimulate our senses and there are movies which talk to us. The latter is what makes the movies really magical and is to what i will be referring to from hereafter. Although most of the characters might be exaggerated there are very few characters with whom you can relate to. Although this relation might be absolutely fantastical and defies all logic, you still do relate them. Sometimes you can relate even to the most absurd of characters like The Smurfs or Michael Jackson ( ughh!!! I hope not ) but the decisions which he/she makes and the relationships he/she seems to have with the other characters seems perfectly logical even in the most bizarre or corniest of environments.

I saw one of these magical movies some time back. Stardust. I am pretty sure that nobody has heard of this movie as it is one of the most overlooked films of the year ( It even won an award for it!! No Kidding!! ). Although the story synopsis made the film sound very kiddish, boy am I glad I watched this one. The reasons to why I liked this film so much as I did are many but as I don't want to narrate the Ramayana and the Mahabaharatha right now, I shall let the reader have the privelege of letting them know that I have decided to skip ahead.

The reason for this post is to prove to the reader that sometimes even the most bizarre or silly events may bring back powerful recollections of emotions from the past, which is the reason I am posting this poem of mine written about two years back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kudos young man!
Finally...
someone who appreciates poetry..


BLOG ON!